Even if you are not planning to sell your house any time soon, a little bit of effort today goes a long way towards the moment when you DO decide to list your home. These fall cleaning tips will allow you to be intentional – on a quarterly basis – and prepare your home, well in advance of that listing appointment with your trusted Realtor©!
1. Gutters: Whether you live in a rainy climate, your gutters need to be cleaned on a regular basis to keep the leaves and other debris from clogging the passageway for water. Now is the best time to clean your gutters!
2. Baseboards: The baseboards of your home may not seem like a big deal, but if they are neglected for too long, it can be a source of frustration when the time comes to shine up your home. Start by sweeping along the top edge of all baseboards, then follow up with a cleaning rag and warm soapy water (use dish soap or your favorite mild detergent). If you find the corners a bit difficult, use a cotton swab or a toothbrush.
3. Window Tracks: If you are anything like us, the window tracks are often the last thing to be cleaned, yet they likely contain the most grime! Vacuum your tracks first (depending on how big they are), then using vinegar and a cotton swab, douse the tracks and wipe away! If you are feeling extra motivated, take some vinegar to your sliding door tracks as well!
4. Lubricate your Locks: Locks are the often forgotten superheroes of our homes! Often times, however, we forget to maintain them like the rest of our home. Simply purchase a lock lubricant (graphite or Teflon based!) and insert the stem into your lock. Spray, and wipe up any drainage that comes from the lock. Repeat until you no longer have any grime escaping from your lock. To clean your deadbolts, simply open them to the locked position, spray and wipe any dirt. Repeat on all doors.
5. Furnace: One of the simplest ways to protect yourself from an expensive furnace repair or replacement is to regularly change the filters. Do this at LEAST once a season, if not more often.
6. Carpets: When was the last time you deep-cleaned your carpets? Don't save your steaming just for when someone has spilled or had an oops moment. Neglecting to properly care for your carpets can mean a much shorter life, and you'll find yourself replacing them sooner than you might have planned.
7. Refrigerator Coils: A dirty set of coils on your refrigerator can increase the energy usage and limit the efficiency of your fridge! To clean your coils, first unplug your fridge and locate your coils. Older units likely will have the coils along the back and newer ones will either be under the fridge or in some cases, on the top. After you've located your coils, vacuum thoroughly and wipe away any remaining dirt or grime with a wet cloth or baby wipe.
8. Set your Thermostats: It's time to check your thermostat settings! If you have a programmable thermostat, consider scheduling your heating to operate at it's highest and most efficient settings. If your family is away from the house during the day, consider allowing the thermostat to begin warming up the home just before everyone begins to arrive at home. Plan out your overnight temperatures as well and watch to see if your heating bills are reduced!
Stay tuned for the winter version of our prep and cleaning tips!
Are you curious as to the current value of your home? We are happy to provide a free home evaluation, simply complete the following and we'll be in touch pronto!